The desktop versions of Solitaire and Minesweeper are gone in Windows 8, replaced with Xbox-integrated full-screen versions. While the classic desktop versions are missing in action, there’s a way to get them back.
Hardcore gamers may laugh at these games, but Solitaire and Minesweeper are popular time wasters that every Windows user has fired up at some point. Windows 8 brings significant changes to these classic games that have been with us since Windows 3.0 and Windows 3.1, respectively.
Playing the New Solitaire and Minesweeper
(1) To play the new Solitaire or Minesweeper, click the Games tile on your Start screen.
(2) This opens the Xbox games app, where you can choose to install Solitaire and Minesweeper, along with other games like Mahjong and Pinball.
(3) To play one of the games, click its tile and click the Play button.You’ll be prompted to install the game from the Windows Store.
(4) Click the Install button on the game’s store page to install your game of choice.
(5) You can also search for Solitaire, Minesweeper, or other games directly from the Store app, accessible from the Start screen.
(6) Tiles for games you install will appear on the Start screen. Click one of the tiles to play a game.
(7) Each game allows you to choose between several different modes. If you’ve played classic Solitaire, Klondike is likely the mode
you’re most familiar with. Both Solitaire and Minesweeper include Xbox achievements.