Windows 8 Release Preview is a prerelease version of Windows 8 and is built on the foundation of Windows 7 and has the security and reliability features connected with Windows. Microsoft says it’s fast, and it’s made to work on a variety of form factors, especially the new generation of touch devices.
You can download Windows 8 Release Preview. But. before you download the preview, you should weigh the pros and cons of installing software that’s still in development.
If you install the preview release, you’ll get to try out the many new features, but you might also encounter errors that you wouldn’t encounter using a released version of Windows.
Factors you should consider downloading the Windows 8 Release Preview:
- You like to use the latest software and enjoy experimenting with new technology.
- You’re comfortable backing up a PC, formatting a hard drive, and installing an operating system from scratch.
- You feel comfortable troubleshooting PC problems yourself.
- You don’t mind updating software frequently.
- You have the installation or recovery media and the knowledge to restore your previous operating system after you’re done testing Windows 8 Release Preview.
There are also risks involved in installing Windows 8 Release Preview
Since Windows 8 Release Preview is not the finished product, your PC could crash and you could lose important files. You should backup your data and you shouldn’t test Windows 8 Release Preview on your primary home or business PC.
You might also encounter problems like:
- Software that doesn’t install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs.
- Printers, video cards, or other hardware that doesn’t work.
- Difficulty accessing corporate or home networks.
- Files that might become corrupted.