Windows Defender in Windows 8 Consumer Preview comes with a familiar user interface and includes enhanced features of Windows Security Essentials. You can show and configure the free anti-virus program using the options described hereunder.
Windows Defender was a Windows security feature before Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) was made available to users as a separate download from the Internet. Microsoft Security Essentials is a free program that provides real-time protection including anti-virus, rootkits, Trojans and spyware for your home or small business PCs (up to 10). If your business has more than 10 PCs, you can protect them with Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection. Once Microsoft Security Essentials is installed, Windows Defender is automatically disabled.
Just in case you don’t want to enjoy the free antivirus included with Windows 8 CP, you can turn it off.
Here are the steps to turn off Windows Defender:
1. In the Windows 8 Search option, search for “Windows Defender”
2. Click on the icon and launch Windows Defender
3. Click on the “Settings” tab.
4. Uncheck the option “Turn on real-time protection”
Now the Windows Defender is turned off. Take steps to install another Antivirus program to protect your Windows 8 CP from malware.
Search from the Charms Bar in Desktop Mode
Launch the Charms Bar and type “defender” in the search box. Select Windows Defender to open the application. You can then enable or disable or change the settings of the program.
You may also like
- Anti-Virus For Windows 8 Consumer Preview
- Free Antivirus For Windows 8 Consumer Preview : Windows Defender
- Antivirus Industry Unhappy With Windows 8 Built-In Antivirus Protection
- Avast Antivirus For Windows 8
- Install Free Norton Antivirus On Windows 8
- Windows 8 : Security Features For Malware Protection