By default, Windows 8 launches your images, music files and videos in its Metro photo viewer and media player. So, even if you are browsing your picture library in Windows Explorer, you’ll be shoved into the Metro UI as soon as you double click to view a file.
However, there’s an easy way to prevent your media files from opening into Metro. All you have to do is associate the appropriate file types with Microsoft’s desktop media player and photo viewer.
1. Open the Control Panel. You can get to it by hitting Win + R, typing control panel into the dialog box and hitting Enter.
2. Select Default programs
3. Click “Set your default programs” A two-pane window appears.
4. Select Windows Photo Viewer in the left menu and Click “Choose defaults for this program.” A list of file extensions appears.
5. Toggle on the Select all button and click Save. Now all photos should be associated with the desktop photo viewer.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for Windows Media Player to associate music and video files with the desktop player.