Microsoft’s Windows 8 Release Preview is a free download and it can be installed in a way without removing your old operating system. Here is how it can be done:
Windows 8 Release Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows 7:
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
- RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
- Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
Additional requirements to use certain features:
- To use touch, you need a tablet or a monitor that supports multitouch.
- To access the Windows Store and to download and run apps, you need an active Internet connection and a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768.
- To snap apps, you need a screen resolution of at least 1366 x 768.
- Internet access (ISP fees might apply)
Step 1: Downloading the ISO image file and creating a startup disk
The first thing you have to do is to download the ISO image file and write it to a DVD or a USB drive to boot from. The ISO image can be downloaded from the following links.
English 64-bit (x64) (3.3 GB)
English 32-bit (x86) (2.5 GB)
After downloading, write this ISO image in a DVD or USB flash drive.
Step 2: Partitioning hard drive
You need to create an empty hard disk partition with a size of at least 20 GB. To do this follow the following steps. You may ignore this step if you already have a hard disk partition.
- Download the live CD ISO image of GParted partition manager. This is a free linux based tool which can be used for creating and managing hard drive partitions.
- Write this ISO image onto a CD and boot from it. You’ll see your drive partitions on the top bar. Free some space(30 GB min.) by dragging one of your partitions and create a new partition.
- Click on the tick button or ‘Apply Changes’ and wait till your partitions gets created.
Step 3: Installing
- Now boot from the DVD of USB drive you prepared in Step 1.
- Fill in your details and click next.
- Enter: ‘TK8TP-9JN6P-7X7WW-RFFTV-B7QPF’ (without codes) as key when asked.
- Choose ‘Custom Install Windows Only’.
- Choose the hard drive you created with GParted to install.
- Wait till the installation finishes.
This will install the Windows 8 release preview on your hard drive on a dual boot. This means that you will get an option to boot either Windows 8 release preview or your current (old) operating system. In this way you can install Windows 8 release preview without removing your old operating system.